An Answered Prayer


Early on in early February, I prayed a prayer to God. I do not remember the details but I remember submitting my future career paths unto God.

Initially, I was very convinced that PR is the field that I would be working in. Many signs seem to be pointing at the direction of PR. In year 1, I took an elective that brought me to PR. Given my personality, I realized that this career might suit me. Still, I wasn't sure. When on exchange, as I continued serving God, many talk to me about my gift of communication. And as if by mere coincidence, a christian lady prayed for me for this gift. Not only that, a few days before I got back to Singapore, God brought me to a new friend who worked in the PR industry as an intern and he shared with me his internship experiences.


These circumstances brought me to decide on taking on PR Writing for the current semester. And when taking the module, the demands and difficulty of the work got me thinking and got me doubtful. I wondered, if this field is really for me, why am I then struggling so hard? In my first Press Release Assignment, I took 2 weeks to finish it. One day before submission, I didn't even sleep because I just kept editing it. To further my doubts, all the companies that I have been looking for internship have either not contacted me or have told me that there is no vacancy. All odds seemed to be against me.


I felt so demoralized and conflicted. I love what I am learning in class, excited about what I am about to do but I seem to be trying too hard. I prayed to God humbly and requested for Him to allow my PR teacher to encourage me and reaffirm me that PR is where He wants me to be because I really don't know if it is His plan anymore. And what I didn't know was that God will be answering my prayer soon.


Today, I just received my first press release assignment. I didnt do particularly bad or well. I got the expected grade that I thought I would have - B. Amazingly, I was not upset about my grades and I even felt thankful that I didnt do as well. I see a passion in learning that I havent seen in a while. I wanted strongly to learn from my mistakes instead of getting a lucky bet at my assignment. I wanted to know for sure what makes a good Press Release and am glad for the mistakes I have made. Because now, I know what I am weak in and what I can improve on. And because of that, I went to look for my teacher to clarify some doubts.


You might have guessed it right. This is when my prayer is answered. Firstly, she reaffirmed me that I didn't do that badly. I was surprised when she commented that I wrote quite well though I really think I have so much to improve on. Later on, she went on to tell me that I had a good attitude in class and towards PR and that she was sure the company that contacted me would be glad to have me (thats because I told her that Fleishman Hillard contacted me). She even extended help and told me that I was welcome to email and ask her for help. I am not exaggerating this but I nearly cried. I was so doubtful about my skills and my current career path. And God answered my prayer and reaffirmed me.


Also, I should mention how the call from Fleishman Hillard was an answered prayer too. Just the night before, I was troubled over internship, over mission trip and in general the plans for myself. I wanted to do many good things but I dont want to do good things, I wanted God's perfect will in my life. I prayed that God would reveal His plans to me for the coming 3 months vacation. And the morning after, I was awoken by a call from Fleishman Hillard. I dare not say that I will get an internship or anything but what I know is to take things one step at a time as God slowly uncovers His plans for me.


In this whole episode, I learnt to walk with God a step at a time. Not being able to see the big picture is tough when walking baby steps, but what I do know and can see is that God has always my best interest at heart and what I can do now is to have faith in God.



"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." 
-Isaiah 55: 8-9


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations darling! This is a testimony to God's goodness. Plus, You totally deserved it :) Keep working hard and doing your best at everything, and I'm sure God will continue to open the right doors! <3 Love how God sent such a nice professor in your life too, she could be such a good mentor!!
    Cant wait to see you again when I'm back in SG!

    <3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carina! <3 Your comment made my day! Yes, I'll work hard and I can't wait to see you again when you are back!! :)

      Delete